Welcome to my blog.....

I guess I can say that I have spent a lot of time telling many friends and family members about my life's happenings via the internet. This is due to the fact that I have many friends and family who live all over Australia and indeed all over the world and the time differences makes email easier than phonecalls.

Feedback from a variety of these have included words of encouragement like "maybe you should write a book" not because my life is full of dramas, well not too many anyway, more so that my style of writing is an enjoyable read, so they tell me anyway. A book would be nice at some time however short stories appeal to me more at the moment and hence the creation of Blogtastical Banter.

I hope you enjoy my views on my life's situations and also situations which interest me, so sit back, relax and enjoy my ride.

Follow me on Twitter @couturechicness
My wares can be purchased at www.etsy.com/shop/CreativelyCouture


Saturday, January 14, 2012

That makes cents

I guess it is because of the past three years and the economic climate, every time I download a newspaper or walk past one in the news agency, the headlines seem to be topical of this economic climate. Let's face it a country can't survive without trade, tourism etc and being a proud Australian has shown me that regardless of how small, young a country is, good economic policies leads to a wealthy country and Australia is certainly right up the top of that list.

I pride myself on having taken my own advice early on and set up savings bank accounts for the girls with regular direct deposits into them. Last year my eighteen year old travelled overseas instead of presenting herself at the annual schoolies event and her savings account was her saving grace for her overseas spending monies. Actually she took far too much of the princely sum of money I had managed to save for her but as I told her, once it is gone, it is gone and therefore future savings would be her responsibility.

My youngest is 'in the same boat' with a nice little bundle but has decided to do the schoolies thing instead of overseas travel (she accompanied us overseas not so long ago and I think she is a little 'over' it for the time being.)

I was recently at lunch with some girlfriends and we we were discussing our children and the road ahead for them. I mentioned the savings accounts to them and they both commented on what a great mum I was to initate the savings. I honestly didn't think much of it back when I signed them up so I patted myself on the back for my efforts.

I often joke around with my own girls about probably not being able to leave them too much financially when I am gone. My jewellery collection will probably have to suffice which interestingly my youngest informs both myself and her sister that she would prefer my collection of hand-compiled cookbooks instead of the jewellery (yes I am a very keen cook and I am thrilled my girls have caught my 'bug'). At this point my eldest 'chimes in' and states that she too would like the recipe books. I advise them that they will just have to work that out for themselves when I am 'gone.'

The experience of being a single mum for a number of years back then, and needing to have a meeting with our then bank manager and explain to her that it will be 'me' that she will need to communicate with in future due to my ex jumping on a plane and heading back to his motherland, apparently because I just wasn't giving him enough attention (his words to the marriage counsellor, not mine) and so ending our marriage. The bank manager's response was that she always liked me more anyway, to which we both giggled like school girls, shared a cup of coffee whilst she attempted to console me and help me hold back my tears and she and I became great mates. The tears are well and truly gone I can assure you. So whilst my marriage had ended, this time was also the most character-building time of my life and I am not just saying that. It is absolutely true. I grew so much as a person and as a female some days I do feel I can take on the world.

So I managed to be able to put aside these savings for the girls which would be no more than enough to be able to assist on the purchasing of maybe a decent second-hand car, maybe but that is okay. Knowing how financially tough things are out there I also yearn to also be able to leave them well 'cashed-up' when I am gone, and wouldn't we all want the same for our children? However I know that, from my own personal experiences, having to strive for your money and ensure there is enough to pay those bills and to also have some set aside for those rainy days, makes us all the more appreciative of our purchases.

I reassure myself at these reflective times and having been able to give them a good education for which I do expect them to work hard toward a good occupation. I explain that this will allow them to fall back on their education/degrees no matter what they are dealt in life, and this is possibly the most valuable asset I can leave them and yes I am very satisfied with that. No I think that I can remove the word 'possibly' from that last sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment