Welcome to my blog.....

I guess I can say that I have spent a lot of time telling many friends and family members about my life's happenings via the internet. This is due to the fact that I have many friends and family who live all over Australia and indeed all over the world and the time differences makes email easier than phonecalls.

Feedback from a variety of these have included words of encouragement like "maybe you should write a book" not because my life is full of dramas, well not too many anyway, more so that my style of writing is an enjoyable read, so they tell me anyway. A book would be nice at some time however short stories appeal to me more at the moment and hence the creation of Blogtastical Banter.

I hope you enjoy my views on my life's situations and also situations which interest me, so sit back, relax and enjoy my ride.

Follow me on Twitter @couturechicness
My wares can be purchased at www.etsy.com/shop/CreativelyCouture


Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Hi, I'm Australia's correspondent for the New York Times....Nice to meet you!

Have you ever turned your current thought whilst you create that next email to send to your fellow work colleagues advising them of the next management meeting and turning that thought into something quite mesmerizing, pondering and imagining yourself in another job. You know, that dream job where you are earning twice your current salary and loving every second of that new job? Well I certainly hope you have. I for one do this regularly. Earning twice my current salary would put me barely as the average wage earner which would be nice (being self-employed having just ventured into my new business of designer handbags www.louisedempsterbags.com  is a tough gig I’m telling you, but I am loving it regardless and would love to write professionally as well.)

Moving on....so whilst I ponder this dream every now and then, whilst bent over my sewing machine, creating another handbag and thinking of the monies spent at Christmas and how I would love to buy my hubby that new car without having to take out a loan etc etc led me down this path of what if? You see loving putting my fingers to keys and create something to read regularly, takes me into this world of  standing next to a make-believe person, obviously my employer or maybe just a work colleague at a networking event and being introduced as “and I would like you to meet Australia’s correspondent for the New York Times” when I would smile, shake ‘their’ hand and say “lovely to meet you” and hoping my new acquaintances response would be “oh really, how incredibly exciting.”

Okay and now I am hearing many of you giggle under your breath and shake that head of yours whilst thinking she is such a dreamer. Yep, you are correct but I for one know that anything can happen in life...just ask Barak Obama if he ever dreamed of being president of the USA? If you don’t dream, how can you look forward to anything? My other current dreams are making a princely sum from my handbags, holidaying in Ireland and Italy, losing a number of kilograms in weight and publishing my own book! All achievable too.

Now one would naturally assume that wanting to work for NYT one would be an avid reader of NYT and that my friends has not been the case until the last few days. Due to the ever-improving world of incredible internet technology I can access this newspaper via the net and have read various articles in this large newspaper. I am really enjoying perusing the plethora of articles and choosing those of interest to read whilst sipping a cup of tea, poised over my PC. It is interesting whilst reading that it is indeed a small world regarding their similarity of articles compared to our Australian newspapers and that, although they already have a plethora of contributors, what is one more? Who can resist an Aussie?

What are my qualifications I can “hear” the editor asking me during my Skype interview? The fact that I lack a degree in journalism, in my opinion, is irrelevant. How many current authors have qualifications in literacy? Not many I am pretty sure. "How long have I been writing for?" Since grade 1 I presume. My 50 year old memory takes me back to Sister Marcelina in the classroom showing me how to hold my pencil so, yes, that must have been the beginning of my writing prowess. "My life’s experiences?" Heaps already and no doubt heaps more to come. "My interests?" Family; current affairs’ the stock exchange;  humour; the world of medicine (being a nurse); fashion; conversing with people in general; counselling; music; cooking; gardening (hence my Lady Lou Lettuce blog) designing and creating my handbags and putting fingers to keys and expressing my points of view.

So would this be enough to impress the editor? Well, frankly, why not? After all what does he/she want? This is me they are talking to. I am not the average overindulging-alcohol-consuming, cigarette-smoking desperate journalist. Well this was certainly the case some thirty years ago when I met numerous 'journos' via a family friend. I casually warned her about being careful not to go down the same dodgy road as her journo ‘friends’ whom seemed to be perpetually intoxicated whenever we met and who seemed  to be willing to sell their soul just to have an article published. I discovered this whilst chatting to them. I was advised of some of them turning up to work and submitting their work on time, and many not. At the age of 50, alcohol and me get together far less than in my younger years and my employment record re punctuality over the vast years has been A1 so who wouldn't want to employ me? Oh dear, am I dreaming again? Nah, I don't think so........

Well, let’s just wait and see if I get any offers. Maybe someone reading this fabulous blog of mine is in The States (and yes I do have readers in the USA) who might just be related/knows the editor of the NYT, mentions my blog, the editor reads it and hey presto.......yep I am dreaming again and I can dream because it is healthy and stimulating and goodness knows I love doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment