Welcome to my blog.....

I guess I can say that I have spent a lot of time telling many friends and family members about my life's happenings via the internet. This is due to the fact that I have many friends and family who live all over Australia and indeed all over the world and the time differences makes email easier than phonecalls.

Feedback from a variety of these have included words of encouragement like "maybe you should write a book" not because my life is full of dramas, well not too many anyway, more so that my style of writing is an enjoyable read, so they tell me anyway. A book would be nice at some time however short stories appeal to me more at the moment and hence the creation of Blogtastical Banter.

I hope you enjoy my views on my life's situations and also situations which interest me, so sit back, relax and enjoy my ride.

Follow me on Twitter @couturechicness
My wares can be purchased at www.etsy.com/shop/CreativelyCouture


Sunday, July 17, 2011

So so proud soccer mum

I can stand up and say that I am a very proud soccer mum to a fabulous young lady who for the purpose of my blog shall be called Nigella Beckham: Nigella due to the fact that this blonde bombshell is a fabulous cook, even at the tender age of thirteen and Beckham as she is as “keen as mustard’ when it comes to her soccer.
Nigella’s keenness for this fantastic game does have some bearing on the fact that her step-dad is a keen soccer fan and is a retired soccer referee. (Here is my prediction…..as an Australian who loves to follow all codes of football in this country I predict that this skilful game will eventually become THE football game with the greatest following in this country...gulp, there I said it,) also my darling brother played soccer in his younger days whilst we lived in Mt Isa, goalkeeper no less and a very good one and this was my introduction to this fabulous game. Hence Nigella showed interest in the game and I was keen to move her into a sport and she asked to play soccer. I investigated various clubs around us and decided on one which was not too far away and which my soccer-mad hubby recommended having heard good reports about the club during his refereeing days. After ringing and finding out the details and then registering her, I was advised that she was to attend no less than three training/grading sessions prior to selection into a team. Soccer boots were purchased along with the uniform and we presented at the first grading session.
We both arrived only to be presented with forty two boys and one other girl at this session, Nigella would make up girl number two! As I stood watching these forty four youngsters desperately wondering where the other girls were, assuming that they would be constructing all male and all female teams and it became clear to me that I was wrong as I took a step back, stepping into the world of reality. Clearly one should never assume. Nigella was keen to join in, though I thought a little pensive to begin with though I think that was not the case at all and was simply in my imagination, she managed to pair up with the other lovely young lady and off she went…..doing whatever soccer players do. But what had I done? I stood there watching my darling in amongst this plethora of pre-pubic boys as they kicked many round balls around with my inexperienced soccer girl, my little darling, in amongst it all. So there I stood amongst the other parents, pretending I knew exactly what was going on and what I was doing. What a fraud.
After the game I decided to ‘man-up’ and explain to Nigella that I had no idea that the teams would be mixed and I apologised repeatedly to her and how I had no problems in understanding if she decided to give soccer ‘the flick.’ She sat, listened to me patiently whilst I presented her with my apologetic babble for the next five minutes finally asking her to forgive me. Her reply was something that blew me away and shut me up well and truly. It went something like this: “Mum, it is OK. I don’t have a problem with being one of two girls with all of these boys. I really want to play mum and I really do want to come back to the next session.” I sat, inhaled and exhaled slowly, realising what an incredibly courageous and wise young lady I had sitting next to me in the car. I was so proud of this comment from her and wondered how I managed to produce such a sensible and accepting little lady.
So, three years on, we have attended a plethora of games with virtually the same team members, winning some and losing some but always enjoying being part of this wonderful team. Stepdad has contributed fabulously too as on occasion has refereed for the team when the official refs do not turn up. I think this has been a fabulous contribution to the team and one which Nigella is very proud. Nigella has been the constant female representative over these three years. This young lady has gone from strength to strength as a soccer player and I am so proud to sit in the stand each weekend as her mum with the other parents and gloat at this gorgeous blonde, blue-eyed creature running around the field whilst she ‘does her stuff’ with her male counterparts.
Next year this doll is required to join an all-girls team due to her age which she is comfortable with, though will no doubt miss the boys and we will miss the parents as well as our fabulous coach who has also been constant for the last three years. As much as we will miss all of this, we have realised that when it comes to dances, semi formals and formals, Nigella will have her team of guys to choose from and you can’t complain about that can you?

No comments:

Post a Comment