Welcome to my blog.....

I guess I can say that I have spent a lot of time telling many friends and family members about my life's happenings via the internet. This is due to the fact that I have many friends and family who live all over Australia and indeed all over the world and the time differences makes email easier than phonecalls.

Feedback from a variety of these have included words of encouragement like "maybe you should write a book" not because my life is full of dramas, well not too many anyway, more so that my style of writing is an enjoyable read, so they tell me anyway. A book would be nice at some time however short stories appeal to me more at the moment and hence the creation of Blogtastical Banter.

I hope you enjoy my views on my life's situations and also situations which interest me, so sit back, relax and enjoy my ride.

Follow me on Twitter @couturechicness
My wares can be purchased at www.etsy.com/shop/CreativelyCouture


Sunday, August 7, 2011

Calling the motley crew of year one, class of 1967 Mater Dei Brisbane.....is there anybody out there?

When my girlfriend from school, year one (1967 Mater Dei Primary School, Ashgrove, Brisbane, Australia) and who I have kept in touch with for all these years, recently suggested that “maybe the two of us should organise a year one class reunion?” I laughed, nearly hysterically, naturally. Let’s face it, where would we start? At first I could find all the excuses in the world until I thought of that amazing invention called the internet. [I was going to give you all a history lesson about where the internet all began like if I Google it and go on to Wiki, it states computers started around the 50’ and 60’s and then there is a whole lot of gibberish about NASA etc and quite frankly when I have one hundred greeting cards to hand-make by Friday, children to cure from the common cold and husbands (no make that just one husband) to help prepare for an away-conference, my time is of the essence so NASA and co’s involvement in the world of technology will have to wait for another day.]
I have pondered over the idea of this reunion knowing that it would be easier to achieve now than if we didn’t have computers and the internet, right? Well yes and no. My darling girlfriend has a hubby who knows the whereabouts of some of the boys which is great. I have Googled many names, searched Facebook and things are not as tricky as they would have been prior to the internet. I have managed to find one of our class members back then, the lovely Leesa who thankfully knows the whereabouts of some of the girls and so surely this should then lead to other leads which will lead to other leads ‘et cetera et cetera et cetera’ (Yul Brynner from the movie The Kind and I), so I think it should be OK.
Now I know that most of the girls will have changed their surnames, some will have left the city, state and even country so the idea seemed at first, that it would be an overwhelming and somewhat absurd task………..Now, I am not so sure. In fact, I am quite enjoying the challenge.
It is interesting how, after some forty plus years since having been with these little munchkins way back then and who are now fifty year old or thereabouts, I can still recall primary school day memories. The first man landing on the moon (1969) was a huge day and we were all carted off to various homes to watch this amazing event (I guess our school didn’t have any televisions back then…..I can’t remember.) Anyway, I was in the group invited to Paul’s house. He was and hopefully still is a lovely guy and was secretly in love with me at that time I think and oh what an amazing day that was and those astronauts. Procuring the lead role in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was another memory. I, having white blonde hair in those days, had to wear a black bobbed wig and I remember I had to fall over (with grace and style of course) having bitten into that dreaded apple and whilst landing, my blonde hair escaped through the ‘cracks’ of the wig and the audience thought this was very funny, along with my probably not-so-graceful fall onto the stage. Another memory is as I recall one of the girls telling us that she “watched a movie from start to finish last night and she didn’t blink through the whole thing!” Yeah sure! Ah, what lovely and funny memories.
Reminiscing I think Gaye was the smartest girl in the class (though I think that will be contested at the reunion) and always had boxes of Twisties under her mum’s bed. It’s true. I would see them when we visited and yes she would give me some packets! Patrick was the smartest guy; Lou-ann had the longest and prettiest hair; Pammy had a fabulous giggle and smile (Pammy moved to Sydney.) First communion too was another important event (yes, it was a Catholic school) and I have a photo of us all 'dressed to the nines' in our white dresses and the boys looking very smart in their gear. I looked gorgeous I must say and that dress….wow! I think mum made it for me….it was stunning!
I am trying to envisage just what it will be like when we get this ‘motley crew’ together. I could only imagine the stories that will come out like who studied what where? Are there any neurosurgeons or astrophysicists in the group? Any Playboy Bunnies? Did anyone become famous or marry someone famous? How many Mercedes Benz’s will turn up in the car park (there will be at least one that I know of) and how many cheaper cars (that would be me and my little runabout, a replacement car having ‘lost’ my lovely Honda Accord in the recent floods.) How many married or not? Who married who? Who has a house in the south of France? How many of us are grandparents (me for one, ok a step grand-mum but that still counts.) Stop! I tell you, stop!….It will be fascinating, exciting and no doubt a little shocking too but oh how I am looking forward to this reunion now.
I can recall Maurice, Patrick, Paul, Paul, Gaye, Pamela, Brad, Lou-Ann, Alison, Joanne, Leanne, Sharon, Rosemary, Michelle, Debbie, Madonna, Mark, Mary, Mary and no doubt more will come to mind. I have in my hand the photo of our grade 3 with the teacher Mrs ? Vesna 1969 (pronounced Vayzna from memory) if that helps anyone out there and there are fifty-two of us in this photo. Yes, I remember Mrs V well. I had started to put curls on the end of my ‘s’s’ in my writing and Mrs V returned by work to me asking me if my ‘s’s’ had “been to the hairdresser?" Rude and uncalled for Mrs V! (So I found the straightening iron and stopped the curls!)
So back to reality and the quest of finding these classmates. If anyone knows anyone who attended Mater Dei Primary School, Ashgrove, Brisbane in 1967 as a year one student, please let them know that Louise and Louise are looking for them. They can place a comment below which would be great oh and no masqueraders please. Remember I have a photo and real names!
Now I am off to cure the common cold! Maybe this will be an easier task…I hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment