Welcome to my blog.....

I guess I can say that I have spent a lot of time telling many friends and family members about my life's happenings via the internet. This is due to the fact that I have many friends and family who live all over Australia and indeed all over the world and the time differences makes email easier than phonecalls.

Feedback from a variety of these have included words of encouragement like "maybe you should write a book" not because my life is full of dramas, well not too many anyway, more so that my style of writing is an enjoyable read, so they tell me anyway. A book would be nice at some time however short stories appeal to me more at the moment and hence the creation of Blogtastical Banter.

I hope you enjoy my views on my life's situations and also situations which interest me, so sit back, relax and enjoy my ride.

Follow me on Twitter @couturechicness
My wares can be purchased at www.etsy.com/shop/CreativelyCouture


Monday, August 1, 2011

The times they are a-changin'

Most of you will already know from reading my various blogs that I am a Roman Catholic and very proud of it. I have attended schools of various Catholic religious orders such as the Sisters of St Joseph (St Mary MacKillop’s order), the Good Samaritans and The Sisters of Mercy (my nursing training hospital here in BrisVegas is run by these amazing women) and can I say I think they have done a pretty good job collectively.
My memories of these educators focus mostly on the St Joseph nuns who will now be affectionately and respectfully referred to as the Joeys’ in this blog and the Sisters of Mercy, referred to as the Mercy’s, again, with fervent respect and affection.
Saint Mary MacKillop, our first Australian saint, clearly held her religion and beliefs in high esteem and having been taught about her, having read much about her and having visited Mary MacKillop Place in North Sydney, where her body now rests in the Mary MacKillop Memorial Chapel, I hold this woman in extremely high esteem. I talk to this fabulous woman on a daily basis and will always admire her strength and intestinal fortitude all the days of my life. St Mary MacKillop was born (1842) of Scottish parents, in Victoria, Australia. Mary started the Sisters of St Joseph religious order and who was, for less than acceptable reasons in her later life, excommunicated from the Catholic Church by her Bishop who was clearly influenced by his priests. Mary was later reinstated as a Catholic by that dying Bishop.
Naturally at school I was not at all terribly fond of The Joeys as it was they who made me attend school and do homework. Now however, as an adult, I realise just how amazing these women were and are. To The Mercy’s, equally, I give as much respect as I reminisce and I do often, about this group of women and their wonderful founder, Catherine McAuley and their role at my nursing training hospital, the Mater Misericordiae Hospital here in Brisbane. Being a Mater girl, I was guided through my three years of training under their reign and now know how the Mater girls are held in such high esteem throughout the nursing community and gives me such pride to be called one of them. The fact that the Mercy’s hold in their hands so much commerce in this amazing city and indeed this country of ours is extremely commendable. They are clearly amazing financiers as well ad educators and more power to them I say. As well I am very proud to be privy to what the Mercy’s produce in their school education portfolio. I am associated with many of the amazing young ladies who have attended their school here in Brisbane and who have gone on to bigger and greater lives which fills my heart with this great pride and faith, knowing we are in good hands in the future. However it is the future of these amazing Josephite and Mercy women educators which concerns me.
In my eyes, to keep the fundamental beliefs of this wonderful religion alive and well, we clearly need to take some serious action as the numbers of those who enter these religious orders diminish, the census will confirm this fact. If the great man Himself was walking this earth, I am guessing that a meeting with Him (and I would make sure I was in attendance too) I would like the dialogue to be something like this:- “How are we doing in your eyes Jesus?” “Well I know you are all doing the best you can however I am watching the numbers of religious in our world and they are diminishing pretty quickly and I think we need to do something about this. Do you all agree?” “Absolutely.” I would then offer my opinion and say something like “Jesus, with respect, I would like to suggest that maybe due to these diminishing numbers carrying your word throughout the world, do you think it would be a good idea that the gentleman at The Vatican should be steering towards amending laws for priests and nuns to marry? (Cue various audible gasps by some present at the meeting.) I feel that there would be more interest in entering religious orders if marriage was an option. Of course, this would not appeal to all and those not interested can continue as is however those wishing to be involved as married religious should be permitted. Now I know that this idea has been suggested by one or two of your current religious order members and it ‘went down like a lead balloon’ but many of my single and married religious friends are in agreement with me. What do you think?” I am hoping his response would be something like "Lou, you have ‘hit the nail on the head,’ I am on my way to The Vatican to discuss this matter with them."
Seriously, I believe that this may be the way to go. ‘The Times they are a-Changin.’ My suggestion is based on not just the factual diminishing religious numbers but also the recent indiscretions of various Catholic priests which have appalled me, my loved ones and friends and family not to mention the Catholic Church and the public and I for one have always and will always believe that man was not meant to live alone.
It is Canon Law ruling priests and nuns unable to wed and I believe this law can be changed.  Look, Adam had Eve, deacons can be married so let’s move it one more step to priests and nuns, hey as I said it is optional but I think it might just work. Why shouldn’t our religious be allowed to marry if they wish? I am pretty sure religious numbers would soar and I for one wouldn’t mind stepping onto the pulpit during a Sunday mass and talk a little on life as a Christian. Yes, I would be very biased and would refer to my fabulous association with the Joeys and the Mercy’s regularly in my sermons and I know heaps of females who would not object to my ‘dissertations.’ Let’s face it, the strong and amazing Saint Mary MacKillop stood up for her beliefs and in a much much much smaller way I guess I am just doing the same. Excommunication for me?……I’d like to see them try!

No comments:

Post a Comment