Welcome to my blog.....

I guess I can say that I have spent a lot of time telling many friends and family members about my life's happenings via the internet. This is due to the fact that I have many friends and family who live all over Australia and indeed all over the world and the time differences makes email easier than phonecalls.

Feedback from a variety of these have included words of encouragement like "maybe you should write a book" not because my life is full of dramas, well not too many anyway, more so that my style of writing is an enjoyable read, so they tell me anyway. A book would be nice at some time however short stories appeal to me more at the moment and hence the creation of Blogtastical Banter.

I hope you enjoy my views on my life's situations and also situations which interest me, so sit back, relax and enjoy my ride.

Follow me on Twitter @couturechicness
My wares can be purchased at www.etsy.com/shop/CreativelyCouture


Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Stop and smell the roses

Those of you who read my blog regularly will know that I am a market stall holder and sell my gorgeous handmade cards very cheaply here in Bris Vegas. There is never a weekend that goes by that I don't go home from our day at the markets, inspired and enthralled by chatting to the public for whatever reasons. I was engaged in two consecutive conversations at our last market day by customers who own parrots. Now I am meaning that one converstation happened straight after the other, with about a 15 minute gap and I am pretty sure that neither know eachother. I was fascinated as was my hubby.What are the chances?

I love nature very much and my Lady Lou Lettuce blog clearly confirms this fact. I don't think, however that I have ever taken enough time to learn about these amazing creations. I have a father who over the years has been a keen bird watcher and was often sighted with binoculars in hand gazing up at a gum tree observing the feathered creature of interest. I also, bought a rather expensive book on birds so that I too could start identifying various bird life which surrounded us as I lived across the road from a reserve. On a recent visit to our fabulous Lone Pine Bird and Koala Sanctuary I stood in wonderment gazing at the plethora of bird life on display and I guess in my case it is more the amazing colours that mother nature has bestowed on them that attracts me to these lovely creatures. However my parrot people taught me much about these amazing creatures that day and just how incredibly intelligent they are, how they do take on the role as a feathered human being when mixing with humans and I was in awe about my lessons that day and am truly appreciative of my newly acquired knowledge on parrot life.

On the same day, as I sat and crocheted my soon to be eco-friendly and very colourful shoulder bag, I realised my craft was being observed by a male bystander. On lifting my head, he stood there not a foot away from me and I smiled and said hi. He returned the favour and we commenced a conversation about the fine old craft of crochet informing me he was waiting for his partner to complete the fruit n veg purchasing across the path from me.  He explained to me how his grandmother used to crochet and how he used to admire her workmanship and I explained to him that it was my grandmother who indeed taught me to crochet. We then conversed about craft and how wonderful it is, he admired my handmade greeting cards, told me they were too cheap for the workmanship and advised me to increase the price. I thanked him for his advice and his compliments and then he parted as his partner approached having completed his purchases. It was a short but pleasant encounter and I appreciated his kind words and his story about his grandmother.

I cannot explain to you how my days at the markets inspires and motivates me and how much I appreciate human interaction. I guess being head down and bottom up for the week here in my work room allows me my personal and quiet time, especially being a busy mum of two teenagers and I do so appreciate my "time out" creating. Also, however, I very much look forward to my market day, conversing with those who are from all walks of life, who I can learn so much from and who make my heart sing with their compliments of appreciation for my card workmanship.

Life makes us all so focused on that 9 to 5 clock, paying that bill, worrying and wondering why your child isn't showing any interest in a subject or two at school and "oh what will become of them?" Chill girl, chill! Yes, crappy things will happen but these too shall pass and will be followed by laughter. I have learnt to let toxic words from others dissipate into nothingness as they own them and not me. There will always be clouds with silver linings. It is time to stop and listen and take time and worry a little less about those dirty dishes in the sink or getting that washing in off the line. I do very much love to stop and listen to the positivity of others about things like say parrots and grandmothers who were great at crocheting and oh how I appreciate it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment